Monday, March 23, 2015

Breakfast Idea/Bread Replacement

Hey!

I know I've been M.I.A and that's pretty much because I've been busy with college and stuff as this is my last year of college and I have tonnes of work to do, performances, et cetera. I'm just taking a few minutes now to blog this recipe because I think it's pretty awesome and I don't want to forget to blog it before I head back to school because I do not blog when I'm in school.

Okay! So, I invented this recipe just last night when I was pretty peckish, I had eaten a lot of large plums and other stuff and....I felt like just having a sandwich or something and there was no bread in the house. (And yeah, in case you didn't know, I eat bread. Usually brown/wholemeal as I prefer their taste. Sometimes, bread is the easiest vegetarian/vegan thing to find in a place full of meat-eaters so.....yeah, I eat bread).

Okay! So, (I start sentences like this a lot....just noticed). So, I decided to experiment a bit and got out 2 ingredients and tried making a quick and relatively healthy bread replacement out of them and it turned out to be pretty awesome. I tried it again for breakfast today and it was so good that I ended up making too batches of it! Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients
Rolled wholegrain oatmeal (or whichever you can find) / Muesli
Coconut milk (I used one whose nutritional information showed that it was high carb, low fat, low protein)
Extra virgin olive oil
Hot water

Method

  • Pour as much oatmeal/muesli as you desire in a bowl or a cup
  • Add some coconut milk to eat, just enough to make the oats squidgy (or a little more than just squidgy)
  • Pop the bowl/cup in a microwave for about 30 seconds or more depending on how much oats you used. Basically, you will want to take the bowl/cup out when the oatmeal/muesli is really hot and.....mushy....is that the right word to use?
  • Once the oatmeal/muesli is out of the microwave, line an oven tray/dish/baking sheet with some aluminium foil/non-stick paper/parchment paper
  • Pour about half a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil onto the foil/paper and spread it around using a paper towel
  • Lighten up your oatmeal a bit with a tablespoon or two of hot water (or a little more depending on how much oatmeal you used)
  • Scoop your oatmeal/muesli a tablespoon at a time onto your foil/paper and spread it around evenly ensure there are no open spaces, gaps or breaks in it.
  • Pop you over tray/baking sheet into the oven at 220 degrees (I believe my oven works in celsius) or, preferably, you could put it in the grill section/on the grill setting of your oven an at a gas mark of 6.
  • Check on it every minute and once the top has browned up a bit and you can touch it and not feel moist oatmeal or have oatmeal getting on your finger, using a spatula, carefully flip the oatmeal bread replacement thingy (I need to come up with a name for this) over and let the other side cook too.
  • Once it is done, take it out and place it on a plate.
  • I prefer to eat this with some strawberry conserve/fresh strawberries mashed up together and spread on like a jam.
This is an awesome bread replacement that I believe is actually healthier than the commercially bought breads (even the breads that are advertised to be healthy).

If you give it a try, let me know what you think, okay?

I hate oatmeal. However, I really like oatmeal pancakes and this bread replacement that I made.
Also, you should note that this bread replacement does not contain sugar. However, if you wish to sweeten it up a bit, you can add some sugar to the recipe. I will recommend using a raw, unrefined sugar such as organic raw coconut sugar or raw cane sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment